Teeth Whitening is a popular way to improve the appearance of your teeth and your smile. This is because it is a safe and inexpensive procedure. However, traumatized teeth require a little more attention because the damage may cause them to react differently to the whitening agent.When you visit the dentist for your teeth whitening,…
Pros and Cons of Popular Teeth Whitening Options
There are many teeth whitening options available to those looking to improve the appearance of their smiles. When it comes to deciding which is best for each individual, it often comes down to what the person's budget allows for and how long they are willing to wait for noticeable results.
Here are the benefits and disadvantages of popular ways to whiten teeth:
Pros and cons of popular teeth whitening options
1. Over-the-counter whiteners
There is a seemingly endless number of teeth whitening products that can be purchased at grocery stores. These can be used to whiten teeth in the comfort of a person's home. They are available in different forms, like gels, pastes or powders.
Some come with whitening trays that make it easier to evenly apply the product to teeth.
- Can help patients achieve significantly whiter teeth over time
- Cheaper than professional whitening treatments
- A more convenient option than going to the dentist
- Are readily available
- Can take a couple of months before the patient has noticeable results
- The whitening agents are not as powerful as those used by dentists
- Tend to be more abrasive than whiteners used by professionals
- Can lead to gum irritation if the patient does not follow directions from the manufacturer
2. Professional whitening treatment
Professional whitening treatments are the best way to improve the color of a person's teeth. This is due to the fact that dentists can use significantly stronger bleaching agents not sold to the general public. This makes it possible for patients to get noticeable results even after a single visit to the dentist. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry states a single session can make teeth up to 10 shades whiter.
A customized tray is often used by dentists during whitening treatments. This reduces the odds of the solution seeping into the gums and other soft tissues, leading to irritation and inflammation.
- Very effective, as teeth are noticeably whiter after a single session
- Removes the most common types of stains, like those caused by tobacco products or drinking coffee
- Much safer than using over-the-counter products
- Entire procedure supervised by an oral professional
- More expensive than over-the-counter options
- Cannot remove certain stains, like those caused by being exposed to too much fluoride
- Maintenance treatments needed to maintain new color of teeth
3. Dental cleanings
Most people do not automatically think of dental cleanings when the topic of teeth whitening is brought up, but these treatments can drastically improve the appearance of teeth. Tartar is a yellow substance that accumulates on teeth when plaque is left on it for extended periods, and it gives them a yellow color. A dental cleaning removes this tartar and any surface stain on a person's teeth.
- Very cheap procedure
- Takes less than an hour
- Instantly improves the way teeth look
- Cleanings have other benefits, like reducing the risk of tooth decay
- Will not remove deep stains
- Does not really whiten teeth, it just removes tartar and surface stains
Contact one of our dentists to learn more about your options for whitening teeth.
Let’s get started …
Request a dental appointment here: https://www.sunsetcenterfordentalexcellence.com or call Sunset Center for Dental Excellence at (310) 747-6534 for an appointment in our West Hollywood dental office.
Teeth whitening treatments can be a lifesaver for many. It can help instantly restore the way a person's teeth look. Who wants to go around with badly stained or discolored teeth? That often leads to people making assumptions about the type of person you are. Some people view stained teeth as a sign of poor…
Whether you just had it put in or you have had it for a while, a dental crown is not perfect and sometimes needs a little help. Having a loose dental crown is an easy fix, but it is also not something you should ignore.There are two main types of dental crowns: permanent and temporary.…
It is normal for people to have some discoloration, even if they visit the general dentist every six months. This discoloration is due to consuming foods and beverages that stain the teeth. Those who have discolored teeth often use teeth whitening toothpaste to solve the problem. Learn the pros and cons to find out if…